The pronoun in English grammar is always an important section. We are providing All the parts of speech so that you can learn English grammar step by step. If you want to learn the parts of speech thoroughly or if you want to improve your Grammar skills, you should focus on pronoun also.
What is a Pronoun?
Definition- A pronoun is a word which is used in the place of a noun in order to avoid repetition of the letter.
Note:- My, Our, His, Her, Their, Your, Your and Its are possessive adjectives (Determiner in modern Grammar)
Types of Pronoun:-
The types of Pronouns are divided into nine parts, which are shown below.
1) Personal Pronoun- Words used in place of a noun referring to a person.
Example- I, We, You, He, She, It, They, etc
2) Demonstrative Pronoun- Words used in the place of a noun to point out objects, person or animals.
Example- These, That, This, Those etc.
- This is a Cap.
- That is Ram.
- These are animals.
- Those are glasses.
3) Relative Pronoun- The pronouns are used to combine or bring clauses together are known as relative pronouns.
Example- Which, That, Whose, Whoom etc.
- The man who is here has a Car.
- The boy whom you are seeing is John.
- The Car which black is mine.
- This is the bridge that was built in 1999.
4) Interrogative Pronoun- These types of pronouns are used to ask questions.
Example- Who, What, Which, Whom etc.
- Who got the highest marks in the exam?
- Whom do you want to meet?
- What is your mobile number?
- Which one is your cycle?
5) Indefinite Pronoun- Pronouns are used for nouns in an Indefinite way and not refer to any person or thing in a particular way.
Example- Everybody, Nobody, Somebody, One, Much, All, Few, Several, Each, Other, Some, Another etc.
- All are my books.
- Someone has stolen his cycle.
- Nobody will play tomorrow.
- Each one will get an equal amount of pocket money.
6) Reflexive Pronouns- Pronouns are used as forms of personal pronouns for the emphasis or refer back to the subject of the sentences.
Examples- Myself, Ourself, Themselves, Herself, etc.
- He educates himself.
- I learned the whole subject myself.
- You should try it yourself.
7) Distributive Pronoun- Pronouns are used for individuals and objects referring to them as one at a time.
Examples- Either, Neither, None, Anyone, etc.
- Either of the two friends is playing today’s match.
- Neither of the books is new for me.
- Each of the boys is a good player.
8) Reciprocal Pronoun- Words used to point out mutual relationships are called Reciprocal pronouns.
Examples- Each other, One another, etc.
- Both the sisters support each other.
- Countries of the world should not fight with one another.
9) Possessive Pronoun- Pronouns that are used to show any possession or ownership are known as possessive pronouns.
Examples- Mine, Our, Your, His, Her, etc.
- This book is mine.
- The bat is yours.
- The school is ours.
These are 9 types of Pronouns. Learn them properly so that it will help to improve your English Grammar. English Grammar is so important if you want to improve your English.
We have Explained the noun in two parts you should learn them also.
- Noun Full Explanation With Types and Examples Part-1
- 10 Most Important Rules Of Noun From Parts Of Speech Part-2
Also, learn- Daily 10 Vocabularies with Synonyms and Antonyms